Friday 6 July 2012

How I Use Facebook


I first joined Facebook quite a few years ago now, as many others did, I migrated over from MySpace. 


I began using Facebook simply to connect with old friends, people from school that I had lost touch with, people from previous places of employment that I had not kept in contact with and held some feelings of regret and people that had encouraged me to join Facebook - my friends that I saw on a regular basis.

At different times in my life in the last few years I have used the site in different ways. For example, at one point in my not so distant past I had found myself unemployed. During that time I spent more hours working online to make an income, in many different avenues, than I had when I was employed. I needed downtime, however I was too determined to put all I had into my work and would rarely leave the computer. 


What do all good Facebook addicts do every time they are on the computer, why they log onto Facebook of course! I was fairly new to it all still, so I felt the need to help all my friends with their game requests and eventually found myself being quite addicted to a few of the games on there. Much to my embarrassment, I really enjoyed Farmville! Luckily, that fad passed for me and I no longer feel the need to even look at any of the requests that are sent to me.

More recently, I have found many of my older relatives have joined the Facebook craze. They tend to be very excited that they are able to easily use this form of technology that all the "kids" are using, and honestly, I think they are more addicted to it than any of the "kids" they used to criticize for doing the same thing. 

Although, the amount of people in older generations I see now with iPhones is amazing. I do not mean to stereotype, but in my own personal experience there are many older people that I know who never even owned a mobile phone previously, let alone used one, because technology was either too hard or something they did not need. 


These same people now own iPhones and are now using them to access sites like Facebook and eBay, in some cases more than their kids and grandkids. I think that is one of the positive things about Facebook, it has brought a generation of people onto the internet who either had no interest previously or were intimidated by new technology.


With my older relatives now on Facebook I do have to be more careful about what I post and what I "like", especially with the new ticker on the side of the home page!

I have begun to utilize the site to sell "things" now. On some well built up pages I tend to sell unwanted items, in much the same way as eBay but without having to worry so much about the size of the item because the buyers are local and generally come to pick it up. I like this way of selling unwanted belongings, the buyer is seeing the item before paying for it, I don't have to do much to sell it other than post a photo and description, and it is such an easy transaction!


Speaking of photos, that is the other thing I tend to use Facebook for. I love building up my photo collection on there! Photos of my family, places I visit, beautiful things I come across, funny things I come across, pretty much anything. 

The reason I like it so much is because I feel safer knowing that I have multiple places I can recover my photos from if I was ever to lose them somehow. Therefore, I have them stored online in multiple places and at home in multiple places. I am a little over the top in that area I suppose, but they are memories that can never be replaced and in time to come I want as many memories as I can possibly have!


So now you know how I use Facebook, how do you use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment